Hi everyone! It’s Friday, and I feel like it’s been forever since I linked up with Courtney, Cynthia, and Mar for their Friday Five Linkup! This week I really wanted to participate because the theme is “Five Things I Did This Summer” and I couldn’t wait to look back on my summer as well as learn what everyone else was up to over the last few months! I’ve been busy asking my students what they did this summer so it’s only fair that I share what I did too.
1. Ran a marathon relay on the longest day of the year…on a trail! This race was a lot of firsts for me: first relay, first participation in a full marathon event, and first trail race! I ran an 8.6 mile portion of the Mayor’s Midnight Sun Marathon course, which was along a hilly tank trail near the army base. It was hard but I had a lot of fun running with my coworkers!
2. Spent some time out on the water. I had the chance to go kayaking twice this summer – last weekend I took a kayaking class to learn different paddling strokes, and way back over Memorial Day weekend we went kayaking down the Chena River in Fairbanks! That was a really fun trip that I totally look forward to doing again if I ever get back up there.
3. Ran half marathon #6. I ran the Her Tern Half in July and while I was initially going for a PR, I had to modify my goals mid-race due to some leg pain. I ended up having a blast running the last few miles with my blog buddy Kelsey and I have to say that it was my most fun half marathon yet!
4. Hiked some incredible trails. This is Alaska, so obviously there are going to be some epic trails on this list. Also, this list made me realize that I really like hiking next to lakes…
5. Ran my very first Ragnar Relay! Running in crazy high elevation in Colorado with 11 strangers on little sleep and food was the most insane thing I’ve ever done…but also ended up being the most fun weekend of running that I’ve ever had! I want to do another one ASAP!
One other exciting thing that happened this summer is that I bought so many headbands from A Rose So Sweet that the shop owner even gave me my own discount code that I can share with all of you! If you’re looking for a new headband I would highly recommend that you check out her stuff. She’s got skinny headbands, wide headbands, and head wraps – and all of them are non-slip and adjustable so they even fit my weird head! The bad news is that she has a TON of prints that she’s releasing all the time, and I get sucked in and buy new ones every month. You can check out my review of them here, and if you want to save 10%, use the code KRISTENK10!
What were you up to this summer? I want to hear all about your epic races and gorgeous hikes!