Hi everyone! It’s Friday, which means two things: 1. I survived my first full week back to work, and 2. It’s time for Friday Five with Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney! This week’s topic is Five Things I Love About My Favorite City, and it was really tough for me to pick just one place. I’ve lived in Reading, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Anchorage and they’re all pretty amazing. But I honestly have to say that Anchorage is my favorite! Why?
1. It’s beautiful. We’ve got mountains on one side, and water on the other. It doesn’t get any better than that! Sometimes when I’m driving to work I’m blown away by how beautiful my commute is. How can you tell me this isn’t gorgeous?
2. We have the best trails within our city limits. And I’m not just talking about our outrageous amount of paved running trails with beautiful views! There are trails for hiking, skiing, and trail running too. It’s amazing that you can drive to some incredible trailheads in less than 15 minutes. I can’t wait to explore them more this summer!
3. Everything is so new and exciting. Ice skating on a frozen pond? Hiking a 3,000 ft mountain? Staying up until 2 am to watch the northern lights? I can’t do any of those things in any of the cities I’ve lived in before, and there’s so many new things that I’m dying to try here.
4. It’s a small city. It’s big enough to have multiple Old Navy stores, but small enough that it only takes 20 minutes to drive from one to the other. With about 300,000 people, it’s the same size as Pittsburgh but with no suburbs and a way smaller commute! We feel like we’re able to get out and explore our city without having to get stuck in traffic or deal with parking issues.
5. It’s on the west coast. This is going to sound strange coming from a life long east coaster, but I’m really liking the west coast vibe here. People are usually really friendly, relaxed, and laid back which I’m not used to at all. Let’s be honest, people on the east coast could benefit from being more laid back. Also, people here say “right on” when they agree with you.
Bonus: We don’t have snakes or reptiles, and no ticks! But we do have moose that roam our city freely. I saw one in the Barnes and Noble parking lot last weekend which is pretty crazy.
I miss Philly like crazy sometimes, and can’t wait to go back for a visit. But Anchorage is definitely the best place I’ve ever lived. I actually say “I CAN’T BELIVE I LIVE HERE!” at least once a day, usually while staring at a giant mountain or a moose. I never did that anywhere else!
What is your favorite city? How many cities have you lived in? And fun question: do people say crazy things in your city that aren’t said anywhere else? Pittsburgh = yinz, Philly = jawns, etc.